[mythtv-users] Power supply for ATX

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Sun Jan 21 14:03:47 UTC 2007

Damian Surr schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> I used to know my stuff with hardware, but I'm a long way out of date now.
> The old machine that I'm wanting to set up as a Myth box has an Abit
> KT7-Raid motherboard.
> It's a big noisy thing, so I want to change the power supply on it for a
> quieter one.
> Can you get quiet power supply's for old ATX motherboards and cases in
> the UK?
> I've just looked at the sites that I used to buy stuff from, but I can
> only see ATX2 and high wattage power supply's. I think the one that's in
> there is 300W and I don't really want to go any higher if I don't have
> to as I don't want it to drink electricity.
> Is an ATX2 supply compatable with ATX (if I know computer manufacturers,
> I'm guessing not!).
> Can I buy a quiet supply from anywhere, or am I going to have to upgrade
> stuff?
>
> If anyone knows much about this stuff, I'm also interested to know if I
> can upgrade the 1.2GHz processor that's in the thing, or are is the
> Socket A chipset just too old?
>
> Here's a couple of info pages on the motherboard if it helps.
> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q1/abitkt7r/abitkt7r-1.html
> http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=91
>
> Thanks for any help
> Damian

Hi Damian,

I am in a similar situation; I have just upgraded my backend with a
BeQuite Dark Power Pro 530W PSU. The Motherboard is a MSI K7 something
with ATX 20-pin  connector. The ATX2 Powersupplies have an ATX connector
with 24 pins, but in the box of the PSU there was an adaptor to make it
fit my Motherboard. Other manufacturers probably include something
similar, you can find that information on their websites.

This PSU is quiet but not silent; if your case has case fan(s), you
could think about a fanless PSU if you want to have it quieter; I have
learned by experience though, that the quest for a real silent PC is not
an easy task.

Good luck

    Matthias