[mythtv-users] C-Cube hardware DVD decoder - any use for Myth?

Greg Kutzbach greg.kutzbach at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 16:40:55 UTC 2007

To My knowledge, this hardware decoder card will do nothing to help
you.  These cards were DVD decoding cards.  They are not MPEG2 encoding
cards.  600Mhz or so was a stretch to get smooth MPEG2 playback and so
they used cards such as that.  Modern processors have no need for them,
plus most video cards have that functionality built into them these days.

Toss the card and just get an Nvidia 5200 based card or better and call
it a day.

I know the feeling of wanting to save good old parts, but just remember
that many engineers have worked very hard to make new devices that are
much better than the old ones.

Cheers,

Greg