[mythtv-users] DVD players

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Jan 21 17:02:39 UTC 2007

Brian Wood napsal(a):
> On Jan 20, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>

>> Can someone recommend a good internal IDE DVD player that won't puke
>> after playing  a few DVDs from the public library?
>>
>> I'm having a heck of a time....  My trusty Plextor just puked big
>> time,
>> and I am looking at internal DVD-RWs for anywhere from $30 to $70....
>>

> Wow. I was going to suggest a Plextor until I read your second
> paragraph.
>
> When you say "puked" it may simply be dirty. I got a laser lens
> cleaning disk from Radio Shack (44-1250) that has brought a couple of
> "failed" drives back to life.
>
> Disks from libraries have a real tendency to be dirty in my
> experience, and that dirt tends to transfer to your laser lens.

I've tried the cleaning thing; I even disassembled it to look at the
lens.  The lens looks off-center.

I am leaning towards another Plextor....  But it's at the top of the
price range, at $70.  I can get  a NEC DVD player for $30.

I think this one may have been physically damaged by a big glob of
something stuck to the DVD...  I think I'll probably put a "sacrificial"
(read: cheap) DVD player in the living room for the kids to destroy and
get a Plextor burner for the study....

--Yan