[mythtv-users] Upgrade to HDTV from SDTV Question, 1.5 year old system

David Krainess davidkrainess at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 17:24:31 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have a 1.5 year old MythTV system running great on a AMD Venice 3000 processor (currently on MythTV .20/Fedora 6).  I currently only have a PVR250, though am thinking of making the leap to HDTV with the QAM broadcast by my cable provider.  I was thinking of buying a HD-5500 card and adding it to the PVR250 on my existing system.

So....

1.) Will the Venice 3000 work or,
2.) Should I upgrade to a more powerful 939 socket processor, or,
3.) Will I have to upgrade the whole darn thing.

I thought I read back when I bought it you need 3ghz to run HDTV.  UnTechnically, the Venice was marketed a comparable to a 3ghz Intel, cough, at that time.  However the marketing numbers and reality are somewhat confusing.  More so am I confused by the ghz number today not meaning as much as efficient processor design, instructions per second, multi cores,  and 45 nanoblah die size yada yada yada

Also, do you need CPU cycles for recording or playing of HD (with the HD-5500)?  I keep reading mixed information on this.

Any help greatly appreciated.