[mythtv-users] OT: MythTV vs Media Center - funny

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 21 17:48:56 UTC 2007

On 21 Jan 2007, at 16:41, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Obviously you don't read any Macintosh-users lists. It becomes quite
>> nauseating to hear so often how crashy, unreliable & user-unfriendly
>> "Winbloze" is. Macintoshes are far more secure by design, you know,
>> and quite "immune" to viruses.

> As for "immune" to viruses, nothing is, but a Mac is certainly more
> resistant to them, as is any Linux or other Unix-based system.

Thank you. I'd forgotten since this morning how nauseating it is to
hear such sentiments.

> Windows will pretty much run any code you present to it, without
> regard to what user owns it or has permission to execute it etc.

Actually, you're mistaken. This week I had to ask one of my customers
to enter her password when we used the "run as..." command (right-
click on an exe) to install the iPod software under her daughter's
account Windows XP; I set this PC up perhaps a year ago so that all
the children have "limited" accounts, and they really haven't had any
problems with it since. Mum always installs new software when it is
required.

> Even
> if you could get "evil" code onto a Unix machine you would still have
> to manage to get the OS to agree to run it.

August 3rd, 1999:
http://www.computerbytesman.com/acctroj/oe.htm

5 years later, no lessons learned?
<http://staff.washington.edu/oren/weblog2/archives/2005/05/
security_in_mac.html>

> Windows is attacked so much simply because it is so pervasive, it
> presents the broadest front.

Indeed.

I have no particular love of Windows. Most of the work I do for a
living is on Windows, but if anything this ensures that I'm glad to
use my Mac at home. I find it obnoxious that one of my customers paid
over £1000 for o/s software for 6 users to use MS-SQL at a time when
£1300 bought them a dual-Xeon server with hot-swap & redundant PSUs &
SCSI array, and I choose Linux for servers whenever I can.

But I _do_ get tired of advocacy, especially when it is not fully-
informed.

Stroller.