[mythtv-users] Whatever happened to HTPC mobos with tv-out?!

glen martin lists at locutory.org
Sun Jan 21 19:15:40 UTC 2007

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On 1/21/07, glen martin <lists at locutory.org> wrote:
>
>> I built a HD-capable frontend a while back on a Asus mobo with a TV-out
>> connector on the board. Sweet little box, no cards so lots of airflow
>> with little fan.
>>

> Out of curiosity, if you are trying to build an HD-capable front-end,
> why are you looking for s-video.  S-video, by definition is incapable
> of doing HD.  If your TV is HD capable, it should have either a DVI,
> HDMI, or VGA input in it.  If your TV is not HD capable, then I
> understand the issue.
I should have mentioned that, yes, my TV is a pretty decent 32" NTSC
with only analog inputs. I've been displaying on X at 1024x768 which the
mobo converts to s-video pretty well.

Another poster suggested I search newegg for 6150 chipsets on mATX
boards.  There are 4 matching boards:
*
Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186086>
  - several comments about poor stability and worse s-video quality. WAF
will probably be low.
Asus M2NPV-VM
  - has that sideways PATA connector
Abit NF-M2 nview
  - doesn't seem to have an s-video connector or header
  - there is also a negative comment about lan chip overheating because
it is placed in a spot hard to ventilate
* DFI C51PV-M2/G Infinity
  - oh so close, but it is not mATX despite being labeled as such - it
is 9.6 x 10.6, not 9.6 x 9.6

glen