[mythtv-users] xbox recommendations

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 03:57:36 UTC 2007

I've have the DMS X-B.I.T. modchip in my XBox (a 1.1).  I'm not sure
if it's available anymore, but it supports flashing a BIOS via USB,
with the XBox turned off.  It also segments the chip (a 2MB, I think)
so that you can have multiple BIOS' available, selectable via DIP
switches.

It's how I loaded Cromwell into my XBox when I was booting into Linux with it.

Some of the modchips use a method like this, some of them use special
software that runs on the XBox itself.  In any case, you shouldn't
need to do the softmod, so there's no particular versions of games
needed.

Also, this allows you to revert back to the original XBox BIOS should
you need to.

I don't think that the XBox is capable of playing back HD captured
content (I haven't tried it myself though), and the XBox remote does
work under Linux, but the number of buttons is limiting.  I found it
easier to use a OneForAll remote setup to look like the XBox, and find
EFCs for extra buttons.

-- Joe