[mythtv-users] MythMusic not playing (0.20)

Eduard Huguet eduardhc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 11:25:40 UTC 2007

Hi,
    I've just (nearly) finished set up a barebone PC as a Linux media center
using MythTV, and so far the only thing that I'm completely unable of make
it work is MythMusic.  The plugin installs perfectly, no matter with that.
And it shows into MythTV, I can configure it, browse the music, etc... I've
even installed the visualizations, which appear without problems.

    Just it don't play. Anything. Whenever I choose be it a MP3 file or be
it a CD track, it frozes for some seconds and then stops. It does the same
for every file/track I attempt to play. It doesn't crash, just don't play.
No error message is displayed, even on the terminal window if I manually
start mythfrontend from there (the last trace message is something like
"Opening OSS device /dev/dsp...").

    The sound on my system is (I think) well configured, as I can hear the
sound from MythTV (LiveTV and recorded videos), mplayer, Amarok, etc... Also
I can externally play those files using i.e. Amarok or Xine, so I don't
think it's a codec problem.

Any ideas? Just in case it's needed here you have the basic data about my
machine:

   · Asus P1-AH2 barebone PC (AMD64 3800+, nVidia embedded card, Realtek
sound card)
  · 1GB RAM, 250 GB disk
  · Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500
  · Sabayon 3.2 - 64 bit edition (Gentoo)