[mythtv-users] Jerkey DVD playback

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Mon Jan 22 15:47:49 UTC 2007

Peter wrote:
> Rich West wrote:
>
>> P S wrote:

>>> I noticed the same thing recently, I disabled opengl sync in the
>>> playback settings.
>>>
>>> Abit NF7-S w/ Athlon XP 2600+, 512 MB ram, Nvidia FX 5200
>>>

>> On all three of my FE's, I have noticed the same issue.  It doesn't make
>> it unwatchable, but it's as if the video is trying to 'catch up'.  Just
>> a stutter here and there, most noticeable as the image pans (and this is
>> on both 16:9 and 4:3 tv's).  Since my mythtv setup is so new, it is
>> still on my list of things to investigate.
>>
>> -Rich

> This sounds like exactly what I'm seeing. However, HD and SD live tv
> plays back fine. One thing I did notice is that even though XvMC is
> enabled, and the logs seem to indicate it's on, I get a color OSD, so I
> pretty much assume something is wrong. I'm about to play with it now.
> Maybe find something later this evening.

Same issue here. My MythTV frontend box has MORE then enough juice to
handle the video stream but the playback is all jerky as described in
this post. I thought it was my wireless until I found that I was able to
stream to my laptop VIA Winblows and MythTVPlayer. From a network
bandwidth standpoint, you should be able to stream at DVD quality over
TCP/IP at 5mb/sec with no major problems. I did some general file copy
testing and found that my wireless can shoot an entire DVD vob file
(5.2gb) in ± 10 minutes over my NFS share... Logically, a movie being
101 minutes in length shouldn't have any problems moving over the
network in-stream. My audio files stream and play with no problems, but
my DVD rips (videos), Live TV, and Recorded Programs all act the same. I
have tried using different compressions, but nothing seems to be
working. I have a suspicion that maybe the frontend box is attempting to
write video to a temp folder that is on the same NFS share as the
mythbackend and it's causing problems... does anyone know (or have a
link) to how mythfrontend actually works with video files? Mainly does
it have a default storage location for temp files or does it just stream
from the backend NFS share as if it were a local file?

Like Peter, I'm going to play around with this box this
afternoon/evening and I'll post back if I discover anything.

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only
for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named
above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or
work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you have received this document in error and
that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and
delete the original message.