[mythtv-users] manual transcode audio/video out of sync.

Jack Madison jack at webhouse.cc
Mon Jan 22 18:09:27 UTC 2007

I have a DVD that I can't rip in myth (that I know of) because it is
arccos protected and pretty much locks up the entire machine when I try.
Using vlc I was able to rip the vob with this command:

vlc dvd:/dev/dvd at 1 --sout
"#standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=/home/jack/dvdout.vob}"

I can play the resulting file just fine in myth or with mplayer.
However, I don't want to use that much space, so I grabbed a transcode
command from my log files that was used to successfully transcode
another movie:

transcode -i $1 -g 720x480 -f 0,1 -M 2 -V -j 0,8,0,8 -y xvid -w 1618 -A
-N 0x2000 -o $1.avi --print_status 20 --color 0

The result of this is an avi that has the audio/video out of sync when
playing in myth or mplayer.  Any ideas why or how to fix?

On a side note, if/when I get the sync issue sorted, can I get mythDVD
to use vlc to rip dvds instead of whatever it currently uses?  I have a
few hundred DVDs I eventually want to rip and the idea of crashing on
any arccos protected DVD I run across isn't appealing.