[mythtv-users] New user - proposed all-in-one system spec (was Seeking advice - graphics card recommendations)

Arthur Green arthur at phraction.org
Mon Jan 22 21:27:18 UTC 2007

Hi -

First, thanks for the responses on my previous question (what graphics
card to use for connecting to SCART or co-axial port on TV). The general
recommendation is to use S-video with a SCART adapter. My thanks to Brad
DerManouelian, Brian Wood and Nick Morrott for their help.

I've now done some research and have come up with the following spec:

- MSI mPC 51PV base system
- 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB SATA disk
- 1GB PC2-6400 DDR2 memory
- Pioneer DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer 16x DVD burner
- Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500 tuner

The base system comes with a GeForce 6150 on the motherboard, with DVI,
VGA, co-ax and S-video output. It has a Realtek ALC880 audio system
(also on-board). It has one PCI and one PCI-X slot. The system will be
all-in-one - front end and back end. The system should be quiet enough
to sit in the family room without making excessive noise - I think the
MSI PC should be fairly quiet.

I selected the PVR-500 because I was looking for dual tuners. As far as
I can tell, the PVR-500 is supported in ivtv.

So - does this system look reasonable? Is it overkill, or perhaps
underpowered? Have I overlooked anything?

Thanks and regards
AG