[mythtv-users] DVI-D/HD video card recommendation

Justin Moore justin at cs.duke.edu
Tue Jan 23 02:35:39 UTC 2007

I've spent the better part of the weekend and today reading up on video
cards and such and my brain is about to melt out of my ears.  I'm
looking for a PCI-Express video card that can do 720p/1080i over DVI-D.
I plan to run the signal through a DVI->HDMI cable to my receiver.  I
don't have the TV yet (that's the next step) so I've got some
flexibility there.  The perfect card would

o be fanless
o do 720p/1080i over DVI-D
o fit in a PCI-Express slot, and
o cost between $30 and $50.

Plugging the myth box straight into the TV isn't an option; everything
has to go through the receiver or it doesn't pass the Spousal Acceptance
Test (we already have too many remotes).

Any recommendations/testimonials?

Thanks.
-jdm

P.S. Under linux, how would I check to see if the card was sending a
DVI-D signal as opposed to a DVI-A signal (all the cards I've seen have
DVI-I output).

--
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin at cs.duke.edu
Web:    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~justin/