[mythtv-users] DVI-D/HD video card recommendation

Justin Moore justin at cs.duke.edu
Tue Jan 23 04:07:08 UTC 2007

> DVI-I means the connector has both analog and digital
> DVI-D means the connector just has digital
>
> A card with DVI-I will work just fine for you.  These cards are
> plentiful.  Just get a modern Nvidia chip.

Yes, I realize that.  My question was

> > P.S. Under linux, how would I check to see if the card was sending a
> > DVI-D signal as opposed to a DVI-A signal (all the cards I've seen have
> > DVI-I output).

Is there a flag I need to set when loading the kernel module to force to
DVI-D output?  Is there an 'mii-tool'-like utility?  Is it an option in
xorg.conf?  Similar to Ethernet in which the same wiring can do
10/100/1000 Mbps, but the signal over the wire depends on the card
driver and the auto-negotiation, I'd like to know how I can tell (a) if
the card is in DVI-A or DVI-D output mode and (b) try and force the card
into DVI-D mode.

There's also the issue as to whether or not a $30-$50 card can push
720p/1080i over a DVI-D link.  From what I've seen on several
manufacturer's websites there are different maximum resolutions
depending on whether it's an analog or digital signal it's pushing.  For
example, it looks like anything short of a 7600GT can't do 1080p in
digital mode, but the 7600GT and up can do 1080p.  I'd just like to know
whether or not this is the case and (if so) where the similar line is
for 1080i.

Thanks.
-jdm

--
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin at cs.duke.edu
Web:    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~justin/