[mythtv-users] xbox recommendations

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 10:58:41 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, ikke <ikke at iki.fi> wrote:

> The noise does not go away even by changing the fan to a bigger one.
> For some reason the plastic box just resonates so much. And the linux
> on xbox I forgot after couple of trials. The box has way too little
> memory to run X, it is too slow to boot and too hard to control with
> remote for everyday use.

Rubbish!  I put in a quieter fan in my Xbox and I can leave it on
overnight in my bedroom.  Sure you can hear it, but I have an LG DVD
Player with Amplifier, which is *much* noisier.

I started a write-up *ages* ago, but in true mythTV fashion, it isn't
finished...yet!

Take a squizz here http://david.whyte.googlepages.com/changingthexboxcasefan

Ooooh, that is the first time I have looked at that page in ages and
it really is sucky, but it does tell you the fan I got.  It required
some modifications (i.e. sanding off the corners of the fan) but it
works really well.

If you need some of the other pics I have, let me know.  I could zip
them up and email them to you.

Cheers,
Whytey