[mythtv-users] Ubuntu / Kubuntu

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Tue Jan 23 15:29:55 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 04:54, Damian Surr wrote:
> I know that it's a matter of personal preference between Gnome and KDE,
> but it there any reason to go for either Ubuntu or Kubuntu above the
> other one when running MythTV?

I'd recommend running NEITHER GNOME nor KDE on a Myth box. Both are enormous
memory hogs, and it's better to leave as much RAM available for MythTV and
all its helper programs. There are lots of slim window managers available
that you can use instead of GNOME or KDE. That said, the mythfrontend program
does use Qt, which is the widget set upon which KDE is based. If this is a
dedicated box, that'd give a slim advantage to using KDM rather than GDM to
handle your logins, if you can configure KDM to do automatic logins or if you
don't mind typing a username or password to get in. Personally, I haven't
bothered; I just followed the instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV

These describe setting up MythTV using Ubuntu and specify using GDM. I've not
yet looked into switching to KDM, although I might eventually do that. I've
got bigger issues for the moment....

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com