[mythtv-users] Controlling a DirecTV GAEBO STB

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:33:05 UTC 2007

>     Other than the obvious sockets to be used to connect it to my TV
> and video capture card, my STB has a funny-looking socket labeled RF.
> Can this be used in order to control the STB from MythTV? By the way,
> the capture card I have is a PVR-150.

The connector you are looking for will be either a 9-pin dsub
connector (looks like a serial port), a 4 pin RJ-11 connector (looks
like a phone cable), or a USB port. It'll say "low speed" "serial" or
"data" or something to that effect next to it.

The RF cable you see is an "F" connector (coax), and is probably used
for connecting the STB to an older TV that doesn't have composite
inputs (remember VCRs that you had to select channel 3 or 4, and it
would modulate the video onto that channel on the TV? same thing).

I suggest getting an exact model number of the box or taking a photo
of it to identify which port to use (post the photo to one of those
free online hosting sites and send a link to the list to ask about the
STB)

 - Jeff