[mythtv-users] RF remote?

Clint Eaker ceaker at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 23 18:01:44 UTC 2007

Now that my myth box seems somewhat stable, the next step is getting remote control with LIRC working.  I really don't have the time to fiddle with building a homebrew receiver, so I went out during lunch to buy the hardware for that.

As much as I tell myself I don't harbor any ill will towards Bill Gates, there's something inside me that is resistant to using a remote that has 'Microsoft' printed on it.  ;-P  So I went with the other option I could find - a Logitech UltraX Media Remote with a USB receiver.  However, after doing a little googling on that device, I've learned that it's a radio frequency remote rather than an IR remote.

Logically, it seems like the only difference between the two should be the hardware in the receiver and remote itself.  So, to get to the point, is that the case?  Has anyone out there gotten an RF remote with a USB receiver to work with LIRC or is there no point in even taking this thing out of the box?

Thanks,
Clint