[mythtv-users] RF remote?

Joseph Caputo jcaputo1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 18:56:49 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, Clint Eaker <ceaker at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Now that my myth box seems somewhat stable, the next step is getting
> remote control with LIRC working.  I really don't have the time to fiddle
> with building a homebrew receiver, so I went out during lunch to buy the
> hardware for that.
>
> As much as I tell myself I don't harbor any ill will towards Bill Gates,
> there's something inside me that is resistant to using a remote that has
> 'Microsoft' printed on it.  ;-P  So I went with the other option I could
> find - a Logitech UltraX Media Remote with a USB receiver.  However, after
> doing a little googling on that device, I've learned that it's a radio
> frequency remote rather than an IR remote.
>
> Logically, it seems like the only difference between the two should be the
> hardware in the receiver and remote itself.  So, to get to the point, is
> that the case?  Has anyone out there gotten an RF remote with a USB receiver
> to work with LIRC or is there no point in even taking this thing out of the
> box?
>
> Thanks,
> Clint

A quick google:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg14905.html

Looks like this remote may not need LIRC at all... just shows up as a USB
HID device (a standard keyboard).  However, you might encounter some
difficulty mapping the remote's buttons to keycodes... if this is
problematic, LIRC might be a better way to go, *if* the remote is supported.

LIRC does support some USB remote receivers, such as the ATI Remote Wonder,
X-10 Lola and (IIRC) the Windows MCE remote.  RF vs. IR doesn't make a
difference to the driver; what's important is that the receiver unit as a
whole is supported.  Each USB receiver is a separate case; I'd ask on the
LIRC list to see if it's supported.

HTH,

JAC