[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate Warranty support *Warning*

Jaz Singh jazee at tds.net
Tue Jan 23 19:41:18 UTC 2007

I am forwarding a message I got from Seagate regarding warranty of my drives.  We are all storage hogs, and probably all run drives 24x7, so warranty is a concern.  I figured that you may want to know about this...

I purchased a drive in December 2006, and wanted to see what the Seagate site said about expiration of warranty.  To my surprise, it ends in Feb 2008!! (Only 1 year and 2 months)
SN: 6PT0SS37
Model: ST3160023AS
I also purchased one in 2003 or 2004, can't remember when, and looking online I find that it, too, has expired warranty.

Seagate claims that they will honor the warranty as long I preserve my proof of purchase.  Ok, so now I rip open my box and tape the receipt on the drive?  And should I do that for the 40+ drives deployed at work in RAID enclosures?

Just a warning to everyone to keep this in mind.

Message from Seagate support: