[mythtv-users] Ubuntu / Kubuntu

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Jan 23 20:10:26 UTC 2007

On 23 Jan 2007, at 15:48, Rod Smith wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 05:22, Damian Surr wrote:
>>
>> What's the difference between the server install and the desktop? I
>> assume I want the desktop as I think I'll need the backend and
>> front end
>> on the same machine. Would the Ubuntu server OS be better?
>
> Assuming it's a dedicated MythTV system and not something that
> doubles as a
> desktop computer, there's a lot of stuff in a typical Linux
> "desktop" install
> that you won't need -- word processors, e-mail clients, etc. The
> same is true
> of a "server" install, but the specific programs are different ...

I don't think this is the case with Ubuntu. I think the server
install is REALLY minimal, if you choose that option at the _very
first step_ of the installation process. I tried it about a year ago,
I think, and ISTR having to install even the ssh server so I could
shell into it.

I'm sure I tried distros (Mandrake?) 5 years ago for which the
"server install" would give you a GUI, window manager, desktop and
then Apache, courier-imap, MySQL, LDAP &c &c, but Ubuntu's minimal
install isn't like this. Maybe if you choose the GUI install you can
configure such an option, but IIRC the "server install" is visibly
different, offering a text-only interface; once it was installed I
had the impression it was a shell, package manager & network connection.

Stroller.