[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate Warranty support *Warning*

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:15:26 UTC 2007

> You must have purchased a drive with a 1 year warrantee if not I would
> complain to the vendor that sold you the drive. Current drives have 1,
> 3 or 5 year warrantees and you normally pay a little more for the
> longer warrrantee. I only pruchase drives with 5 year warrantees but I
> guess if any of them died 4 to 5 years from the purchase date I
> probably would not even want a replacement as the drive would  be very
> slow and small compared to what was current.
>
> John
I've only had to warranty a few drives and every time it has been a
smooth process.

Usually I....

Lookup the serial number on the website to check warranty dates.
Submit an RMA rquest which I print out to stuff in the box.
Print some error reports (i.e. smartctl logs or something) if the
drive isn't dead.
Mail it back and wait.

Once I even got a drive almost twice as large as the one I shipped
back.  I've used the cross ship method (requires credit card) twice I
think and both times it worked great.

Jeff