[mythtv-users] Recording Grouping feature in .20 question

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Jan 23 21:27:46 UTC 2007

* On Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:10:38PM -0500, A JM wrote:
> When you say "cross mount" do you mean NFS? Essentially setting up the
> network for accessing the directory then add it to the Storage Group.

Yes, I had put NFS but then took it out because I didn't want to get into
a NFS vs CIFS debate with others. :)

> 1) I'm not in front of my box at the moment so I'm assuming that you
> could add another Storage Group how does Myth deal with multiple
> groups? would you be able to assign certain recordings to certain
> groups?

Yes, on the main Storage Groups screen, there is a button/item for adding
a new Storage Group.  Once you've added one, you can assign recording
schedules to it.  If you want to move old recordings into that new group,
just move the files and they'll be found automatically.

> 2) After adding a new drive to the group will Myth randomly use the
> drives or will it wait for the first to fill then use the second and
> so forth?

It will try to intelligently balance out the recordings across the drives
based on how busy (doing MythTV things) a drive is.  It can't account for
you copying a few gigs of data around, it doesn't look at the hardware,
just at what Myth knows is being recorded, playing, flagging,
or transcoding.

You can read more about the logic in my commit log message here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/239035#239035

--
Chris