[mythtv-users] RF remote?

Clint Eaker ceaker at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 23 22:18:51 UTC 2007

>From: Joseph Caputo <jcaputo1 at gmail.com>
>
>On 1/23/07, Clint Eaker <ceaker at mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> Now that my myth box seems somewhat stable, the next step is getting
>> remote control with LIRC working.  I really don't have the time to fiddle
>> with building a homebrew receiver, so I went out during lunch to buy the
>> hardware for that.
>>
>> As much as I tell myself I don't harbor any ill will towards Bill Gates,
>> there's something inside me that is resistant to using a remote that has
>> 'Microsoft' printed on it.  ;-P  So I went with the other option I could
>> find - a Logitech UltraX Media Remote with a USB receiver.  However, after
>> doing a little googling on that device, I've learned that it's a radio
>> frequency remote rather than an IR remote.
>>
>> Logically, it seems like the only difference between the two should be the
>> hardware in the receiver and remote itself.  So, to get to the point, is
>> that the case?  Has anyone out there gotten an RF remote with a USB receiver
>> to work with LIRC or is there no point in even taking this thing out of the
>> box?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Clint
>>

>A quick google:
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg14905.html

I saw that post, but didn't realize that HID = standard keyboard.  Thanks.

>Looks like this remote may not need LIRC at all... just shows up as a USB
>HID device (a standard keyboard).  However, you might encounter some
>difficulty mapping the remote's buttons to keycodes... if this is
>problematic, LIRC might be a better way to go, *if* the remote is supported.
>
>LIRC does support some USB remote receivers, such as the ATI Remote Wonder,
>X-10 Lola and (IIRC) the Windows MCE remote.  RF vs. IR doesn't make a
>difference to the driver; what's important is that the receiver unit as a
>whole is supported.  Each USB receiver is a separate case; I'd ask on the
>LIRC list to see if it's supported.

Based on this and the other responses (thanks all), I think I'm going to give this
remote a try.  At first, I didn't think this thing would work at all, but then some
searching around (and I think it was mentioned in another reply as well) turned
up the 'edit keys' feature in myth, which sounds like exactly what I need to get
this thing working without LIRC.

Downside is that if I ever want to playback using anything other than the MythTV
internals, I could have a problem.  If that becomes a major problem I think I'll
need to find a way to configure LIRC.  It looks like LIRC has added support for
eventX devices, though it looks like getting this to work is a project in and of
itself.  (Tony, is this how your snapstream firefly interfaces with LIRC?  If so, I
would definitely be interested in seeing your lirc files).

Thanks again,
Clint