[mythtv-users] xbox recommendations

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Wed Jan 24 02:21:27 UTC 2007

>On 1/23/07, ikke <ikke at iki.fi> wrote:
>

>>  The noise does not go away even by changing the fan to a bigger one.
>>  For some reason the plastic box just resonates so much. And the linux
>>  on xbox I forgot after couple of trials. The box has way too little
>>  memory to run X, it is too slow to boot and too hard to control with
>>  remote for everyday use.
>>

>Rubbish!  I put in a quieter fan in my Xbox and I can leave it on
>overnight in my bedroom.  Sure you can hear it, but I have an LG DVD
>Player with Amplifier, which is *much* noisier.
>
>I started a write-up *ages* ago, but in true mythTV fashion, it isn't
>finished...yet!
>
>Take a squizz here http://david.whyte.googlepages.com/changingthexboxcasefan

I'll second the use of that fan.  I picked one up for my Xbox as it
was the only one I could find that had about the same airflow, was
supposed to be quiter, and was approximately the right size.

I had to trim the case a little, removing some of a screw mount, and
slightly trim the fan shroud as well.  But all in all it's a lot
quieter.  If you want to make it really quiet you can remove some of
the rf shielding to reduce the exhaust airflow obstructions.  And
maybe a couple of the case fins blocking the fan exhaust.  Perfect
jobs for a dremel 8)

  - Wade