[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 02:45:40 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, Nate Crosno <nate at crosno.net> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'd like your collective opinions on what is the best bet for the money.
>   We just sold our old dish network equipment on ebay and I can get away
> with a little money spent on an upgrade in order to get HD playing
> smoothly.  Here is my current setup of my combined FE/BE:
>
> HP DC5000MT:
> P4 3.2GHz w/HT (Socket 478)
> 1.5Gigs DDR400
> 160GB IDE hard 7200RPM drive (I forget the brand)
> FX5200 PCI w/ DVI out to Sony KF50XBR800 (50" LCD Rear Projection)
> ATI HD Wonder PCI card for OTA HD
> PVR-150 for the cable channels.
> Running Gentoo and Myth .20 ebuild.
>
> My biggest problem seems to be the PCI video card. There is no AGP or
> PCIe on this board, and the built-in video has only VGA, but I need DVI.
> I have XvMC working great in Xine, but cannot get it to work in Myth
> (again, maybe the PCI is to blame).  I cannot get HD to play back
> smoothly in Myth.  Others seem to be getting good results on a P4 3GHz
> without XvMC.
>
> So, to make a long story longer, it looks like my only option is to
> upgrade the MB.  Unfortunately, options are limited for a socket 478.
> I could not find any with built-in DVI or Component out.
>
> Here are my goals:
> Goal 1. A happy wife, which means:
>     1a. Keeping cost under $150 (w/ tax and shipping), so I need
>         to reuse as much as possible (RAM, Hard Drive, Tuners).
>     1b. Minimal down time...I mentioned an upgrade and the response was
>         "So you'll be spending every night in front of the computer for
>         the next month?"  I'm really hoping that does not become a
>         reality.
> Goal 2. Smooth HD playback in Myth without resorting to Xine.
>

> To that end, I'm looking at two possibilities:
>
> Option 1. Reuse the P4 with this MB and Video card ($104 shipped)
>     BIOSTAR P4M80-M4 Socket 478 VIA P4M800 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
>     $47 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813138262
>     Leadtek A6200TDH-128MB GeForce 6200 DDR AGP 4X/8X
>     $43 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814122222
>
> Option 2. Forgo the P4 altogether and go AMD:
>     ($133 shipped)
>     AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939
>     $59 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103535
>     JetWay J939GT3-PTD Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD
>     $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813153047
>
> Option 3.  Suggestions, anyone?
>
> I have a feeling most of you will vote for option 2 (or 3), since socket
> 478 and AGP are dying out.  However, I put the goal of WAF first for a
> reason!  I am hoping that if I go with option 1, then I could plug in
> the existing HD and have everything (mostly) working without having to
> reinstall the OS, Myth, lirc, etc. Bad idea? If going option 2, I think
> I am certain to have more down time, though I could start the build on a
> [...]

Athlon64 3200+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103032

but not a Jetway board...
ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014
or
ABIT NF-M2 nView Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127013

You should be able to just move the hardware, boot up, install the
nvidia drivers and be set to go. Your most likely using a i386 or i686
kernel right now which will run fine on the Athlon64.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!