[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Nate Crosno nate at crosno.net
Wed Jan 24 03:34:02 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Nate Crosno <nate at crosno.net> wrote:

<snip>
>> Here are my goals:
>> Goal 1. A happy wife, which means:
>>     1a. Keeping cost under $150 (w/ tax and shipping), so I need
>>         to reuse as much as possible (RAM, Hard Drive, Tuners).
>>     1b. Minimal down time...I mentioned an upgrade and the response was
>>         "So you'll be spending every night in front of the computer for
>>         the next month?"  I'm really hoping that does not become a
>>         reality.
>> Goal 2. Smooth HD playback in Myth without resorting to Xine.
>>

>> To that end, I'm looking at two possibilities:
>>
>> Option 1. Reuse the P4 with this MB and Video card ($104 shipped)
>>     BIOSTAR P4M80-M4 Socket 478 VIA P4M800 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
>>     $47 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813138262
>>     Leadtek A6200TDH-128MB GeForce 6200 DDR AGP 4X/8X
>>     $43 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814122222
>>
>> Option 2. Forgo the P4 altogether and go AMD:
>>     ($133 shipped)
>>     AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz Socket 939
>>     $59 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103535
>>     JetWay J939GT3-PTD Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD
>>     $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813153047
>>
>> Option 3.  Suggestions, anyone?

<snip>

>> So what do you all think?
>
> Athlon64 3200+
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103032
>
> but not a Jetway board...
> ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014
> or
> ABIT NF-M2 nView Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127013
>
> You should be able to just move the hardware, boot up, install the
> nvidia drivers and be set to go. Your most likely using a i386 or i686
> kernel right now which will run fine on the Athlon64.

Thanks for the advice! That's good news about AMD processor working with
my current install. I did however add CFLAGS="-march=pentium4...." to my
/etc/make.conf in a vain attempt to get myth to run better.  Think that
will foul me up?  I don't believe that was in there when I did the last
kernel, but I could be wrong.

Any reason why you recommend the Serpmon 1.8GHz over the Athlon 64 2Ghz
I linked to for the same price?

Thanks again,
-Nate