[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 24 04:07:13 UTC 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 8:47 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:

> Don't forget your local computer recyclery. I put together a 2GHz
> Sempron system with 768 MB RAM, SCSI drive, and a few other goodies
> for
> around $100.

We have a local recycle/surplus place that has some incredible stuff.
They offered me a working Ultra-Sparc 20 for $50. Older SCSI drives
and peripherals can be had cheaply as well, but the newer 320 stuff
is still costly. You can get SparcStation 5,10,20 units for next to
nothing and they work fine for a mail server, DNS server or even a
light duty web server, and they can't be killed as they just run and
run and ...

The biggest cost factor these days is the display. Unless you are
willing to use a boat-anchor-type CRT you have to pay some $$$ for a
decent one.

A lot of the old stuff is so heavy that shipping costs turn great
deals into bad ones though, so as you say you need to find a local
outfit.

I won't mention their name, I did that on a different list and buried
their web server for a couple of hours, even though there's nothing
on the site but a test page, everyone just went to look.