[mythtv-users] Upgrade Options for $150

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Jan 24 04:28:23 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> We have a local recycle/surplus place that has some incredible stuff.
> They offered me a working Ultra-Sparc 20 for $50. Older SCSI drives
> and peripherals can be had cheaply as well, but the newer 320 stuff
> is still costly. You can get SparcStation 5,10,20 units for next to
> nothing and they work fine for a mail server, DNS server or even a
> light duty web server, and they can't be killed as they just run and
> run and ...
>
> The biggest cost factor these days is the display. Unless you are
> willing to use a boat-anchor-type CRT you have to pay some $$$ for a
> decent one.

Yeah well, ours *charges* $15 to take a CRT.

Seriously, though, you will have to spring for a decent video card, a
DVD player, and a modern LCD display.  Those just aren't hitting the
recyclers yet.

But still, you can pick up a loaded PC for very little.  Since I don't
want Windows, they pull the pre-loaded drive, install a wiped drive, and
I save $30.

Expect to see a windfall when Vista hits the shelves.  All those 3 GHz,
1GB RAM, 256 MB Video card boat anchors....  :-)

--Yan

--Yan