[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 24 05:45:39 UTC 2007

On 23 Jan 2007, at 23:50, Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
> I'm thinking that someday I might actually get a HDTV capable set.
> However, with all the DRM crap that is coming into vogue, I'm
> afraid of
> getting something that won't "trust" my frontend, and will end up
> with a
> crappy display.

The DRM crap doesn't affect MythTV, as no TV can be expected to trust
Linux to do HDCP.

There are lots of TVs that will do HD at 1920 × 1080 or 1386 x 780
when connected to Myth, provided you've got the content. It's not
worth listing models unless you're planning on purchasing within the
next 3 months, otherwise prices and models will have changed by the
time you come to buy.

DVD's are playable under Lunux using DeCSS (or similar); if the
encryption for HD-DVD or blue-ray is broken then that, too, will be
playable under Linux at its full resolution. It seems unlikely that
licensed HD-DVD or blue-ray software will be sold for Linux, however
"trustworthy" your TV.

Nevertheless, there does seem to be plenty of HD content available
unencrypted from cable TV. Your concern should be whether your
digital TV supplier offers it.

Stroller.