[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Wed Jan 24 05:55:16 UTC 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 00:29, Stroller wrote:

> 1080i is 1920 × 1080 with every other horizontal line being updated
> each refresh. Under 1080p _every_ line is updated each hz, so twice
> as many pixels must be pushed (but the image won't look twice as
> good, as I understand it; I guess it may even be indistinguishable to
> many people, even if you have 1080p content).

Its likely in many cases untrained eyes won't see the difference, but
I'm pretty certain that the bigger the 1080p set, the more people
would indeed notice the difference with 2x the resolution available.

> You'll pay quite a lot for a name brand TV with more than 720 pixels,
> but if you're feeding the image from a Myth box then there's no need
> to use the TV's internal scaler. The internal scaler is the expensive
> part, and can make a terrific difference if you're connecting an SD
> source. I have read some very complementary reports reporting
> excellent image quality on cheapo 1080p tellies from lesser brands
> fed from a PC at 1920 × 1080; one UK example is the "Goodmans" 1080
> panel, a rebranded Tatung, which is cheaper than a 720 Sony or
> Samsung.

I've been very happy with my Westinghouse sets, and they were
relatively cheap as well (sub-$1500US for the 37" 1080p set).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com