[mythtv-users] Mythbackend Segfault on Delete SOLVED!!

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Jan 24 16:47:05 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 03:08:43PM -0800, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>> My problem was a libmyth package that was older than the mythbackend package.
>> I was accidentally entering 'yum update myth\*' to update instead of 'yum
>> update \*myth\*' when updating from atrpms.
>>
>> Hey, Axel, I thought yum was supposed to at least warn about dependencies like
>> this?
>
> Please imagine the next line in loud capital letters:
>
> don't use selective/partial upgrading. you - are - on - your - own!
>
> On even larger letters:
>
> don't even bug packagers and upstream about that! you - created - this
> - bug!
>
> And in largest fonts, blinking in red
>
> go after the people advising to do so, find them and kill them
>
> If the above sounds harsh, it's for educational purposes. If you don't
> know the background just google for partial and/or selective upgrades.

That's alright Axel. I don't mind harsh if I've really screwed up. Nobody
advised me to do what I did. All the large blinking red capitals belong to me.

When I installed mythbackend: 'yum install mythbackend --enablerepo=atrpms'
yum helpfully pulled in all dependencies.

Now when I updated: 'yum update myth\* --enablerepo=atrpms' it *seems* to me
that yum could/should/would check dependencies and at least alert me that
libmyth needed updating.

My posting to you was more about the packaging process and not about my error.

I appreciate all the hard work you've put into atrpms. It's made my life and I
assume many others much easier.

I'll go fall on my sword now.

Kirk Bocek