[mythtv-users] Wireless?

casey dunn casey.dunn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 16:57:59 UTC 2007

On 1/24/07, Pete Cap <peteoutside at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm building my girlfriend a myth box.
>
> She doesn't have (or want) cable or internet--her neighbors are nice enough
> to let her mooch wireless from them.  Does anyone forsee any problems with
> putting a wireless NIC in the box so it can get its nightly updates from
> Zap2It?
>
> It would also be nice if the recordings could be shared out via samba so she
> could copy recordings to her laptop--can this be done over wireless?  I
> confess I don't know enough about wireless in general, much less on redhat,
> to know if you can connect to the box without a WAP mediating for you.  I
> also wonder about security concerns--I want to restrict access to the box to
> her laptop alone, so maybe a VPN setup is in order...but she's not a geek so
> it can't be too complicated!
>
> Any advice is welcome.
>
> Best regards,
> Pete

You do have a WAP mediating for you, the neighbors.  Read up on samba
security, as well as supported wireless chipsets.  Be very carefull in
your purchase, most cards have changed chipsets several times, and
it's not always easy to identify from the box.  I've had good luck
with my Atheros based card (madwifi drivers).

What you will probably end up with is the box showing up in Network
Neighborhood just like any other windows PC with a shared folder.