[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 17:47:01 UTC 2007

On 1/24/07, Jarod Wilson <lists at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2007, at 00:29, Stroller wrote:
>
> > 1080i is 1920 × 1080 with every other horizontal line being updated
> > each refresh. Under 1080p _every_ line is updated each hz, so twice
> > as many pixels must be pushed (but the image won't look twice as
> > good, as I understand it; I guess it may even be indistinguishable to
> > many people, even if you have 1080p content).
>
> Its likely in many cases untrained eyes won't see the difference, but
> I'm pretty certain that the bigger the 1080p set, the more people
> would indeed notice the difference with 2x the resolution available.

1080p is not twice as many pixels as 1080i, its a misconception on how
digital interlaced video works. In fact every frame of both formats
has the same number of pixels so in fact the pixel "rate"/count for
both at the same frame rate is the same.

If you have a 1080p TV then the only difference you would notice on
1080i content is dependent on the quality of de-interlacing between
Myth and your TV. In theory, 1080i broadcasts should be fully
IVTC-able and should have flags for proper 3:2 pull down, but they
usually don't. Many TV's use an mixed process that includes basic IVTC
which is more advanced than what Myth uses, but whether the results
are better would require some A:B tests as it would be very close.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i#1080i_vs_1080p
for a good description on the differences.

On 1/24/07, Jarod Wilson <lists at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2007, at 00:43, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> > I was using a single-link DVI cable to drive my Westinghouse 42"
> > 1080p display and I was getting crazy artifacts in the upper third of
> > the screen. I was using a 5200. I upgraded to a 6600 and had the same
> > problem. I switched over to a dual-link and it's been great.
>
> Huh. I'm inclined to say that maybe not all DVI cables are created
> equally, as someone had earlier suggested, and maybe a different
> single-link cable would have been just as big an improvement... :)
>
> Seriously though, the specs for single-link do clearly indicate that
> its got more than enough bandwidth for 1080p.

I agree that I don't see any way in which the dual link cable would
have specifically made a difference, I would be willing to be a better
quality/larger gauge single link cable would have made the same
difference. I'm assuming by "crazy artifacts" Brad meant mpeg
pixelation due to lost data.

I had previously been running a 5200 and the tearing issue that
"UseEvents" ended up actually fixing led me to purchase a 6200 in
hopes that dual link would be the fix needed. It was not, but I've yet
to place the 5200 back in the machine to see if it makes a difference,
but I don't see why it would, so yes, get a 5200 if you can.
I would warn though that getting a "cheap" version of either card does
not rid you of any issues that may come up due to shoddy components,
etc.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!