[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Wed Jan 24 19:05:10 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 1/24/07, Jarod Wilson <lists at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 24, 2007, at 00:29, Stroller wrote:
>>
>>> 1080i is 1920 × 1080 with every other horizontal line being updated
>>> each refresh. Under 1080p _every_ line is updated each hz, so twice
>>> as many pixels must be pushed (but the image won't look twice as
>>> good, as I understand it; I guess it may even be indistinguishable to
>>> many people, even if you have 1080p content).
>> Its likely in many cases untrained eyes won't see the difference, but
>> I'm pretty certain that the bigger the 1080p set, the more people
>> would indeed notice the difference with 2x the resolution available.
>
> 1080p is not twice as many pixels as 1080i

Yes it is. Or at least, it can be. (See below :)

> its a misconception on how
> digital interlaced video works. In fact every frame of both formats
> has the same number of pixels so in fact the pixel "rate"/count for
> both at the same frame rate is the same.
>
> If you have a 1080p TV then the only difference you would notice on
> 1080i content is dependent on the quality of de-interlacing between
> Myth and your TV. In theory, 1080i broadcasts should be fully
> IVTC-able and should have flags for proper 3:2 pull down, but they
> usually don't. Many TV's use an mixed process that includes basic IVTC
> which is more advanced than what Myth uses, but whether the results
> are better would require some A:B tests as it would be very close.
>
> See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i#1080i_vs_1080p
> for a good description on the differences.

Okay, read it, and I read it to say that 1080p60 is indeed 2x the
resolution of 1080i60, but that 1080p24 and 1080p30 are more commonly
found in the wild today.

Additional reference material:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p#Broadcasting_standards

--jarod