[mythtv-users] simultaneous analog and digital (SPDIF) audio output (SOLVED)

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 01:28:14 UTC 2007

After a lot of searching, I found a way to get Myth's audio output to go to
both the SPDIF and analog outputs simultaneously suggested on the knoppmyth
wiki (although I'm not using knoppmyth).  With that working, I can choose
between listening through the TV or the Stereo system by just muting one or the
other.  I have noticed a slight time lag between the two, just enough to be
annoying to have both on at once.

I'm attaching my .asoundrc file; just copy it to the home directory of whatever
user runs mythfrontend as .asoundrc, and then configure myth to use ALSA:multi
for sound output, and ALSA:digital for AC3 passthrough.  This works with my
(on-motherboard) sound hardware, reported by lspci as

    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
(ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

The .asoundrc file may need modification for other hardware, but I'm posting it
in the hope it will be useful to someone.

--
Peter Schachte              One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        breakdown is the belief that one's work is