[mythtv-users] using cable freq for broadcast HDTV

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Jan 25 02:42:40 UTC 2007

Dave D wrote:
> Is there a way to get local listings from zap2it, but watch the HD
> shows from cable instead of OTA?
>
> In other words, I'd like to change the frequencies to match the cable
> frequencies of the HD channels and the modulation scheme to QAM256 for
> local broadcast channels in mythtv so to 'fool' zap2it into thinking
> it's local?
>
> I currently have standard cable for my SD recordings and OTA for HD.
> But I also get HD from cable.  The problem is that Comcast (in all
> it's glory) doesn't put EIT information in their digital channels...
> at least here in Sacramento.
>
> I've tried modifying the channels themselves from
> mythtv-setup->channel editor to match the cable channel exactly to the
> local HD channel with no luck... zap2it simply doesn't get the data.
>
> Has anyone tried this?  Can anyone tell me the SQL statement I can use
> to get the frequencies associated with the channels?  It wasn't
> apparent to me when I looked at the tables.
I do this.  It works like your OTA setup I imagine.  I have a "local"
lineup on zap2it that checks off the HD channels but really the local
distinction is only relevant in that this is how it is listed on
zap2it.  Then I map that lineup to my HD card, scan for channels, and
then set the xmltvid's to match those in my lineup using the frontend
channel editor (hit E while watching the channel).  This is not any
different as I understand it from setting up OTA.

Kevin