[mythtv-users] Need to buy a graphics card

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu Jan 25 02:50:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:42:05AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 6:40 AM, Damian Surr wrote:
>
> > Can anyone help with my shopping list? :-)
>

> Sure, get an nVidia 5200-based card.

I have nvidia cards in all my systems, and they are good for myth, and
doing opengl etc.

However, one issue that plagues me is that, with the proprietary
drivers (which are necessary for the above) it seems very hard to get
them to work with hibernate or suspend.

With electricity where it is in California now, with marginal
rates of 30 cents/kwh, a 100 kwh computer costs $22/month to keep
on all the time.

That's no small potatoes.  I mean we think we're saving money
over a lower power Tivo with a $13/month fee, but we're not.

Myth has some support for waking up remote systems, in theory
you don't need to keep anything running though most of us do have
one system that will be up all the time that can be the master
backend and only wake up slaves when needed.

But for frontends, waiting for a full boot just to watch a show
is not happy.   Suspend to ram would perhaps be best for those,
or at least hibernate.

How much luck have people had doing that with their nvidia cards?