[mythtv-users] Wireless?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 25 03:10:12 UTC 2007

On 24 Jan 2007, at 16:22, Pete Cap wrote:
> She doesn't have (or want) cable or internet--her neighbors are
> nice enough to let her mooch wireless from them.  Does anyone
> forsee any problems with putting a wireless NIC in the box so it
> can get its nightly updates from Zap2It?

Nope. I have found configuration of some cards under some distros
quirky, but if you have problems upon installation ask on the
distro's user forums. I really like the integration of wireless into
Gentoo's boot scripts.

An acquaintance of mine sells wireless cards for Linux <http://
networkned.co.uk/hardware.php> - if you can get hold of one of these
cards locally then you're good to go. That Allnet may now be tricky
to find, but I'd be surprised if they've changed the chipset in their
ALL0281 cards - mine is an Altheros & works very well with the
madwifi drivers. Cards featuring the Ralink rt2500 chipset are very
common - you can probably get those Belkins in any computer store &
I'd doubt if they've changed chipset.

> It would also be nice if the recordings could be shared out via
> samba so she could copy recordings to her laptop--can this be done
> over wireless?  I confess I don't know enough about wireless in
> general, much less on redhat, to know if you can connect to the box
> without a WAP mediating for you.

As Mr Dunn said, you have the neighbour's AP in the middle. Although
wireless seems complicated the SSID & encryption key are only needed
to "get on" to the network (channel should be done automatically);
once you have configured those the wireless card can be treated just
like a regular network interface and the AP just acts the same as an
ethernet hub - you can ping, ssh and browse by IP address to any
other computer connected to it.

>   I also wonder about security concerns--I want to restrict access
> to the box to her laptop alone, so maybe a VPN setup is in
> order...but she's not a geek so it can't be too complicated!

An SMB password would seem adequate.

Stroller.