[mythtv-users] Wireless?

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 03:49:59 UTC 2007

> On Jan 24, 2007, at 8:13 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
> > Save yourself some trouble and buy a wireless bridge (google for it).
> > Dlink and Netgear and others sell them.  It connects to the wireless
> > network for you and offers your PC an ethernet connection.  Just use a
> > short CAT5 cable and you're golden.  No messing with wireless drivers
> > under Linux
>
> Guess our posts crossed in the mail.
>
> Buffalo makes a wireless bridge that does WAP for around $80 in the
> USA, be careful of the Linksys units, they cost more and only do WEP.

I wasn't aware that any wireless bridge was capable of WPA in bridge
mode... I remember being pissed when I bought my Buffalo compact
repeater bridge claiming WPA support and then when I tried to bridge
it to my Linksys, it would not connect. Buffalo tech support and
replied that bridge mode only works with WEP.

Either way, the wireless bridge is the way to go as then you don't
have to mess w/wireless setup in Linux. Not sure if wireless support
in Linux has gotten any better since the last time I tried a couple
years ago.

-Dave