[mythtv-users] Wireless?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 25 06:00:24 UTC 2007

> The Buffalo "AirStation G54" can do WPA-AES encryption. I have one
> running next door connected to my Mom's Mac. I never tried their "one
> touch" security setup though, guess I'm just old-fashioned.
>> Either way, the wireless bridge is the way to go as then you don't
>> have to mess w/wireless setup in Linux. Not sure if wireless support
>> in Linux has gotten any better since the last time I tried a couple
>> years ago.
>>

> Agreed. Wireless support in Linux is very dependent on what chipset
> is in the card. Some set up quite easily and some are impossible
> without using Windows drivers and NDIS, and the proprietary Windows
> drivers pollute your open source system if that matters to you
> (though the nVidia drivers do that to most Myth systems anyway).

I could never get my Thinkpad T40 to work wirelessly with the Cisco
Aironet 350 card it came with. I replaced the mini-PCI card with an
Intel Pro 2915 (2945?..the upgrade to the 2200) It uses the ipw2200
driver which is very capable and very stable.
I have a script and call it with 'office' or 'home' and it swaps the
resolv.conf files and fstab versions for the 2 different places.
Easy...
Not so with the Cisco.. Best $50 I have spent in a while.

Lesson is: pick a card which works with the available drivers.
Geoff