[mythtv-users] Ringbuffer (fd -1) error possibly solved

Jogchum Reitsma j.reitsma at hccnet.nl
Thu Jan 25 06:29:21 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have been struck by the (fd -1) error of the Ringbuffer, when doing
live-tv or progamming. Symptoms are that the .mpg file is created
allright, but stays empty, and the backend compains about this file
being invalid, (fd -1).

I have seen several postings of this error (I posted one myself), none
with a solution sofar.

In my case, I have solved the problem by deleting the old myth-libraries
still hanging around from previous installations. In my case, these old
libs where in /usr/local, while I chose /opt as the current location for
mythtv. The libs in /usr/local are read before those in /opt, and I
think that that was the problem.

In any case, my problem is solved this way, and maybe this may be the
case with others.

regards, Jogchum Reitsma