[mythtv-users] IDE and IDE

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 14:48:46 UTC 2007

Both devices can still operate at their fastest speed while connected to the
same ATA channel.  But only one device can use the channel at a time.
Because of limitations in the ATA design, this means that it is very
inefficient to access two different speed devices on the same channel.  This
means burning a CD/DVD (read from the HDD and write to the DVD drive) or
ripping a CD/DVD (read from DVD drive write to the HDD) will bring the
performance to a grinding halt.  The problem is not the devices transferring
data at slow speed.  The problem is the massive over head negotiating
between the two devices.  This limitation of ATA could have been overcome
with the inclusion of queuing of accesses in the design.  But alas it is too
late.