[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 25 17:09:12 UTC 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> Note that Brian lives in Wyoming, the smallest state by population,
> but the tenth-largest by geographical size. The *vast majority* of
> Americans live in areas where every local commercial-network affiliate
> has over the past eight or nine years switched over to ATSC (and
> generally without using "crappy encoders") while Europe is, relatively
> speaking, still in the Dark Ages and Japan has just figured out
> electricity and powered flight. Anyone who can recall being able to,
> pre-cable, tune in even some analog stations with rabbit ears or a
> rooftop antenna, and many who couldn't do even that, has an excellent
> chance at receiving for free a full medley of HD stations today.

Quite true. Even the "crappy encoder" of the local CBS affiliate
looks pretty good to the average viewer. If I have a guest over to
watch something on my 32" LCD that's in 1080i they rave about the
"great picture".

BTW, by "crappy" I'm talking about something that costs over $35,000
US. That's almost a tank of gas in Europe :-)

I see the "crap" because I know what to look for and used to work in
the business. MPEG artifacts drive me crazy but I should remember
that most viewers don't even see them :-)

To me the measure of a "good" program is when I stop looking for
artifacts and just see the content - doesn't happen very often. I
once caught myself watching an HD program simply because it *was* in
HD, so I turned off the set and opened a book. Shades of the days
when program(me)s in colo(u)r were rare.

Japan figured out powered flight? When?