[mythtv-users] Myth gui offset problem

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 25 21:03:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 03:04:50PM -0500, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
<snip>
> shows what I am experiencing.  Myth and/or ratpoison is drawing the gui
> on what seems to be centered on a virtual 1920 x 1080 screen.  I've
> tried adjusting the offset for gui position in the setup but that
> doesn't seem to have any effect.  It's as myth it's ignoring the
> setting.  The offsets do work if I remove the 1080 mode though.  I could
> then position the screen where I want on the screen.
>
> Is there a way to convince mythtv to scale to a preset mode (1280x720p
> in this case) other than the mode it's started in?  Is this a bug in
> ratpoison?  Anyone else experience a similar problem?  Searched the list
> and found one reference to something similar.  It was suggested that the
> person use xrandr to set the resolution to what was needed before
> starting mythfrontend.  That doesn't seem to work for me either.

What you're describing sounds similar to what I found when I tried
ratpoison. In my case I have a cheap old tube TV so I adjusted the
nvidia overscan correction to make recorded video look right and then
used mythfrontend's resizing and offsets to make the GUI fit the visible
screen space nicely. When I tried using ratpoison the offset didn't work
correctly anymore.

I'm afraid I don't have a fix for you, other than "don't do that". I
didn't feel like figuring out why ratpoison messed up my offsets. fvwm2
worked fine, I just wanted to give ratpoison a try because its general
approach seemed appropriate for a dedicated MythTV machine.

--
Michael Heironimus