[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 23:19:29 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2 fields = 1 frame. Fields are each "half" of an interlaced image. So
> 1080i60=1080p30.
> 124,416,000 / 2 =62208000. Again, a single frame of 1080i is not any
> more pixels per frame than a 1080p frame. And stop throw in pixels/sec
> in, it has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

It has everything to do with what we're talking about. Your vision doesn't
only care about static numbers of pixels unless you're looking at a still
image, and since this is a MythTV list I'm gonna assume that's not what
people here are interested in. The resolution of video as we perceive it is
determined by a combination of static resolution and frame/field rate, i.e.
pixels per second. To claim that 1080i has the same resolution as 1080p is
misleading - it implies that they are equal in terms of perceived quality
when they are not (with the caveat I mentioned earlier about source
material).

Steve