[mythtv-users] Direct TV and HD with Myth TV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 26 03:02:59 UTC 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 7:56 PM, John Nissley wrote:

> Is there anyone out there recording HD from Directv onto a mythtv
> setup?  If so can you please share with me how to do this.  I have
> heard
> about Directv receivers that can output the MPEG4 stream via the
> firewire port but I have not been able to find a receiver that will
> do this.

MPEG4? I think most of their programming is still MPEG2, though this
is changing, some of the DISH stuff is H264 I know, but they have 11
million MPEG2 boxes out in the field so any changeover will be slow.

You can buy hacked DirectTV receivers that can output the MPEG2
stream, but they are technically illegal AFAIK.

The real answer is to wait until HD encoders become affordable so you
can just use the HDMI or component output of the receiver, that's
still a very expensive proposition but will change, probably sooner
than anyone thinks.