[mythtv-users] Mobile Video Player Recommendations (MPEG4)

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 13:36:38 UTC 2007

>     I am interested in something like the video ipod. However,
> I am not interested in re-transcoding everything to be
> compatable with the video ipod. Are there any units like from
> iriver or archos that are more mythtv friendly. What exactly
> is the variant of MPEG4 being used by mythtv (since it's not
> H.264) and are there any portable video players that support
> it?
>
>      I would like to just "dock" the video player and have
> it sync overnight with minimal muss and fuss, preferably
> being able to completely refresh the 20G or so worth of
> content that could fit on it. So a simple dump/file copy
> onto the device would be ideal.

Check out:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Transcoding_for_the_PDA

Even though it does transcode the video, it is all done automatically.
 It stores the video in separate directory as well.  There is a big
difference in moving a 150M vs 1G to a handheld.  The 150M files play
flawlessly on a mobile device.  You can get used PDAs that would would
play video in the $150 range.  I have yet to see a cheap MP3 player
that plays video, but I expect them soon.  I usually watch at least
one show a day on my Axim.  It's very convenient and the small screen
really isn't that small when it's a foot away.

It's also great to have 20 shows on me when I have to wait somewhere
(i.e. oil changes, pharmacy, etc).

Jeff