[mythtv-users] Best Ubuntu guide?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Jan 26 14:13:57 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 04:46, Damian Surr wrote:

> While researching MythTV and Ubuntu, I've seen a few guides, but I've
> been surprised how different the all seem (I'm sure this is just from
> the point of view of a Linux novice. They probably all do exactly the
> same things in a slightly different way).
> Could someone point me in the right direction to what you consider to be
> the best, most straight forward and up to date guides for installing
> Myth on Ubuntu. A good basic general guide on getting ready for Myth
> (partitions etc) would be useful too.

I can't offer any comparisons; however, I can comment on the following guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV

This guide is reasonably thorough, in the sense that it takes you through
everything from downloading the Ubuntu install CD-R images to configuring
MythTV's capture cards. On the downside, I found that the guide was
inaccurate or confusing at a few key points; for instance, some steps relied
on software being installed that wasn't installed until later. As I'm
well-versed in Linux, I was able to "fill in the gaps," as it were, so these
problems weren't major ones for me. For a Linux newbie, though, the result
could be extreme frustration, since things won't work as the guide says they
will, and the solution may not be obvious. (Unfortunately, I don't recall
exactly which steps were "off" in this way, although I believe X installation
was one of them.)

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com