[mythtv-users] Fedora Core 6 won't boot after installation (x86_64)?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Jan 26 14:23:19 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 09:01, Sebastian Buks wrote:
> The installation went smooth but when rebooting nothing
> happens. I get the usual BIOS stuff (obviously) and then the marker just
> blinks in the upper left corner. Nothing happens at all. There is no
> GRUB installed as this HTPC will run linux only (i.e. no DUAL-boot).

That's the problem -- you **NEED** GRUB (or LILO or perhaps some other boot
loader) to boot Linux, even if your computer boots just Linux. There are ways
to fix this without reinstalling everything, but I'm not sure offhand what
the exact procedure would be to do this with FC6. (It'd probably involve
booting the boot CD-R into recovery mode and then using the grub-install
command, but I'm not familiar enough with FC6's emergency modes to give you
precise instructions.) Since there's (presumably) nothing on your hard disk
but the OS at this point, it might be best to just re-install everything, but
this time tell the installer to put GRUB on the disk. (The default options
should work.) OTOH, if somebody posts step-by-step instructions to install
GRUB in your situation without re-installing the OS, that'll likely be
quicker.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com