[mythtv-users] Wireless?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 26 15:41:24 UTC 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 8:30 AM, Dewey Smolka wrote:

> You can pretty easily secure a WAP against all but the most
> determined. Encryption by itself should be enough for a residential
> setting, and MAC filtering would be even more secure. If you tell the
> WAP to only identify wireless requests from your girlfriend's MAC
> address, then no one else gets in. A combination of WPA, MAC
> filtering, and a hidden SSID should raise your fence high enough that
> only the most determined would try to break in.

You're pretty much covered it all. It really depends on what you are
trying to prevent, MAC address filtering tries to prevent people
getting access, but does nothing to prevent "snooping" of the data
being passed.

As you pointed out nothing will stop a determined competent attack,
but you can certainly stop the average idiot.

And this is certainly true of wired networks as well. If you are
passing data to and from the internet it can be intercepted at a lot
of places, from a pole or pedestal down your block to the data center
of your ISP, or anywhere in between.

The only true security would be in a salt mine or a submarine under
the polar cap, and with King George and the CIA etc. I'm not so sure
about that.